1. Scale the mandarin fish and remove its gills; gut the fish and clean it; with the fish’s skin facing downward, cut the flesh of the fish in straight cuts and, then make diagonal cuts. The cuts should be deep enough to make a rhombus pattern on the fish skin.
2. Stir the Shaoxing wine with the refined salt well and then spread the mixture on the fish head and the flesh of the fish; then wrap them in the dry starch; hold the fishtail to shake off the excess starch.
3. Put the ketchup in the bowl and add fresh soup, sugar, vinegar, wine, salt, wet starch and stir well to make the sauce.
4. Heat a wok with a strong flame，then add the lard, heat it until it is 80% heated before rolling the two fish pieces, letting the fishtail lift from the heat and then put the fish in a pan to fry it until it is shaped.
5. Put the fish into the pan and fry them until they tune golden yellow then remove and arrange it on the plate; place the fish head to its place and form the shape of a squirrel.
6. Leave a little oil in the pan and fry the sliced green onion; fish out the green onion and add the minced garlic clove, diced bamboo shoots, mushrooms and peas, and fry them till they are heated through.
7. Put the sauce in the pan and cook it over a high heat until it is thick; add the lard and the peeled prawns, stirring them well before pouring the sesame oil over them; then spread the sauce over the fish.